Wednesday 22 February 2017

Mel Gibson plans two new movies; stirs up controversy with the Jewish community once again

      Fresh off the recent success of his latest film Hacksaw Ridge, Academy Award Winning Actor-Director Mel Gibson is planning to make another war movie. The Lethal Weapon star, who has offended the Jewish community in the past especially in 2004 with his controversial Passion of the Christ movie, in 2006 for making racist comments towards a Jewish police officer following a DUI violation in which he accused Jews of being responsible for "all the wars in the world" and his with failed Maccabee movie project, is ironically going to do a movie about Israeli heroism in the Six-Day War. In an interview with the cable channel E!, Gibson, speaking with Maria Menounos had this to say:

           "I know that I have offended the Jewish community in the past. That said, I think that it about time that we move on and what better way to do that than with a movie in which the Jews are portrayed in a positive light? My next film will be on the Six-Day War in which the Israeli Army won a decisive victory against its Arab enemies and in the process seized the territories it now occupies today. It will fittingly be called The Six Day Miracle because I firmly believe that it was Divine intervention which caused the Israeli victory."

      Some Jewish leaders though are not too enthusiastic about Gibson's latest and perhaps futile attempt to curry favor with Jewish community. President of the American Jewish Committee - Stanley M. Bergman, writing on the Group's website said this:
       

        "I am not buying Mr. Gibson's latest ploy one bit. This man has a history of anti-Semitism. In my book, once an anti-Semite, always an anti-Semite. I think that all Jewish groups must band together to ensure that this film is not released."

     Contacted by E! to get a response, Gibson had this to say;


      "I know that this film was going to start controversy. But apparently the word "forgive" is not in Mr. Bergman's vocabulary. What more does Mr. Bergman want from me? I officially apologized for the 2006 incident. I will not apologize for this latest film project or The Passion of the Christ though. And just like the The Passion, I will release it as an independent film and it will definitely be a box office hit. I also intend to do a sequel to The Passion. It will be called The Resurrection and just like the Jews couldn't stop Jesus two thousand years ago, the Jews can't stop me from being released and becoming box office hits today."

No comments:

Post a Comment