Saturday 2 August 2014

My problems with work

            Here I am at home with another long holiday weekend about to come to an end very soon. I have to admit that I do in fact have a love for holidays. I always look forward to that day when I can sleep late and get up after nine in the morning and I don't have to worry about hustling or reaching late for work or not getting transport on time. Some people may call me lazy, but there is just something about holidays that I love so much. Is it the fact that its a day when I can do what I want and I am not bound down by the burdens of the office? Is it the fact that I don't have anyone scrutinizing my every move? Is the fact that I don't have to worry about being at a job which I am not really fond of for a whole, entire day? Maybe or maybe not. But one has to admit that a day from the work-place is a day which one must take full advantage. After all, who likes it when they are constantly being called upon to do a task and when you start the task the phone rings. Then when you answer the phone the caller on the other end bombards you with questions because he or she wants to get some vital information of which you know nothing about. Then when you tell them to wait while you get help, they get annoyed because they think that you should have every answer to all the questions they ask. Then when you finally get the help that they need in the form of another person, the caller hangs up out of lack of patience thinking that it's your fault because you couldn't deal with his or her problem quickly enough.

          So the person who you get to come to the phone asks you who it was on the line and you can't give them an appropriate response because the caller didn't leave his or her name or even a contact number. Then you get scolded by the person who you thought would have helped you because they thought that you should have taken down all that vital information. So they then look at you as being irresponsible. Who likes that? Then when you finally settle down to start your regular work, someone asks a favor of you. So you have to leave what you were doing initially to help that person with whatever they are doing. That job may require you to go to another floor. You then proceed to the other floor and get the task done for the other person. You get a "thank you" That's fine by me. I admire people with gratitude. But you soon realize that for the whole day you have not even done your regular work and it soon piles up on you. You soon feel a sense of relief when you take a look at the clock on the wall and realize that it's almost time to leave. It's a great feeling. Believe me. Apart from the lunch hour and the occasional coffee break, no other time gives a person that wonderful sense of relief than when he's leaving the office to go home. Then you pack up your things and tidy up your work station. You tell your co-workers and boss goodbye and you step into that elevator. Hooray! You celebrate. You've gotten away from the burdens of the work-place. Then suddenly the reality hits you. Damn! You've got to go over the same routine tomorrow.

         This is one of the main reasons why I relish holidays. Its one of those rare occasions where one can relax and not feel burdened by the obligations of the work-place. Unfortunately, like all good things, they always come to an end. This week I was fortunate to experience two holidays - Eid-ul-Fitr on Tuesday and Emancipation Day on Friday. That said,  I am already looking forward to the other one in twenty-nine days' time. Independence Day, please hurry.

No comments:

Post a Comment