Monday 4 August 2014

Newspaper Obsession

                                Newspapers. Ah those good 'ole-fashioned newspapers. How can we ever do without them? Even in this age of the online newspaper, I can't help but purchase my hard copy newspaper on a daily basis. After all its only $2.00 Monday to Saturday and $3.00 on a Sunday. To me it seems as if newspapers have become an important part of my life which I absolutely can't do without. There is just something about it the attracts me. Is it the colourful pictures? Or the layout of the paper? Everyday I always look forward to my daily purchase of my favorite newspaper. As I head to my work building, I anticipate the smiling face of the vendor from whom I make my regular purchase. I pay her, thank her and then begin to peruse the publication. I stand still and stare at the headline on the front page for a few seconds then I turn the paper on the other side and begin to read. I am looking at the sports section of course. I read aloud as if I am a sports-anchor. 'A hat-trick from Argentine star Lionel Messi enabled Barcelona to defeat its great rival Real Madrid yesterday by three goals to one at the Nou Camp.' I become engrossed in the story wishing that I could have been there personally to witness the exploits of the footballing Maestro. 'Sports journalists must have the best jobs in the world.' I think to myself. I finally arrive at the office but I still have a few minutes before I take up duty, so I make a cup of coffee and sit at my desk while I spread the paper on it.

                                 Then I take the chance to flip the paper to the front. Lo and behold its an entirely different story. This story is a sad one about a senseless murder. Unfortunately it will  be one of many that I will read about on a weekly if not daily basis. Such is life isn't it? You have to take the tragedies with the triumphs. I peruse the paper further and I come to the section where the public can voice it's opinion by sending in letters to the editor. I read one writer's letter of a particular subject matter and say to myself, 'gosh that guy is making such valid points.' 'If only our politicians can heed the advice of this guy.' I then read the articles written by the regular columnists. 'My my,' I say to myself, 'if only I can be as good a writer as those guys.'  ' I'd make a fortune.' I turn to the International Section next and can't resist reading stories about the conflicts in the Middle East. I imagine what it's like to be a journalist covering such conflicts. 'Wow,' I ponder. 'These people actually put their lives on the line so that I can sit here and relax and read a story about a conflict that will not end soon.' It then begins to sink in. 'Journalists are very courageous and hard-working people aren't they?' Thanks to them I have something meaningful to read on a daily basis. So to all the journalists out there who burn the midnight oil while I'm in bed sleeping like a baby, I say a heartfelt thank you. It's because of you I have a newspaper obsession. Frankly speaking, that's a wonderful thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment