Friday 4 September 2015

Gym Routines

                For the past six months now I have been going to the gym. I know that I wrote in an earlier blog that I prefer to run than go to the gym, but on the insistence of my sister, I decided to give it a try. I have to admit that it was not my intention to look like Mr. Olympia. I just wanted to look toned. I have to say that I didn't know how hard weight training is. It leaves you in pain and at my age that pain can be a bit difficult to bear sometimes. My favorite exercise whenever I go is to work out is running on the treadmill. Nothing seems more effortless than running on the treadmill. But then again, I love running. The weight training is another issue. Sometimes whenever I start my routine as directed by the gym-instructor, I struggle to even lift the weights. My muscles (or lack of it) hurts so bad. But I guess that is all part of it. As the saying goes: 'No Pain No Gain.' The first day I started going to the gym, I specifically told the instructor that I don't want to look too buff. I preferred to look more lean and toned, like Bruce Lee. He was quick to inform me that Bruce Lee dedicated his whole life to get his body and that his look was also part of his career. He was right. That said, I know that it was always going to be difficult whenever you start the gym. I always seem to get the impression that I am not doing enough or that I am not seeing the results that I want.

                There was this one time that I was lifting weights as instructed by my trainer and the pain was unbearable. I put the weights down and just started to rub my sore muscles that ached so badly. I am always amazed at folks who seem to be older than I and can do their routines with such ease and with apparent lack of effort. I always wonder to myself: 'Are they more disciplined than me?' 'Is it something genetic?' 'Do I still need more time?' Still, with all the weightlifting that I have been doing, my biceps are still soft. Sometimes I wish that life was like a cartoon. You know, like Popeye the Sailor. All he has to do is eat a can of spinach and "Voila" he is strong.  Unfortunately, this so-called instant strength that he gains from the spinach is only temporary though. So real life is not like a  cartoon where anything can happen. It requires a lot of discipline, dedication and hard work. It is still somewhat rewarding though that, after a hard day at the office, you can come into the gym and just forget the previous eight hours that just went by. What you did wrong or what you didn't do. How many difficult people you had to deal with who were constantly giving you attitude. You just change into your gym clothes and erase the bad work day you just had from your mind. Your main focus is on yourself. Getting that desired body that you always craved or losing those excess pounds.

               Beads of sweat pour down your face as you start to run on the treadmill. You then turn the speed up because you want to show off to the person next to you how much stamina you have gained and how fast you think you can run. And even when he or she is finished you still continue because you don't want to make it seem that you have been to the gym for so long and you are not "fit." You then go on the bike and do the same thing. But then, as the saying goes, "all good things must come to an end." Your gym instructor is now ready for you now to start an exercise and he points you to the barbell. Your jaw drops as he tells you to add on some more weights.  He then instructs you on how much repetitions you must do and your heart begins to beat faster than ever. It is then you realize that you are not as fit as you think you are and that achieving the specific goal you want is not going to happen overnight.  You continue to struggle with the routine with the hope to one day see dramatic results. Nothing is ever going to happen like magic. It requires a lot of hard work. If this wasn't the case, everyone would be fit. I guess the same can be said about life's other aspects. Hard work really does bring success. How long one is willing to work to achieve that success comes down to the individual's own determination to succeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment